When applying for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), claimants are required to have a qualifying disability that prevents them from taking part in Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA), and thereby are unable to support themselves financially.
A number of disabilities will qualify claimants for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits. The parameters of these disabilities, as well as their associated disorders and symptoms, are categorized in the Blue Book. Each disability claim is submitted to the Social Security Administration (SSA) for evaluation, and approved or denied based on the listed categories in the Blue Book.
Section 9.00 is dedicated to Endocrine Disorders in the Blue Book, which encompasses disorders that are responsible for affecting other parts of the body due to hormone imbalances.
Below are some examples of endocrine disorders that qualify for SSDI:
- Pituitary Gland Disorders – These disorders affect hormone production and hormone function, impacting any number of body systems.
- Thyroid Gland Disorders – These disorders impact the sympathetic nervous system and metabolism, causing a variety of issues, such as mood disorders and weight loss.
- Adrenal Gland Disorders – These disorders affect blood pressure, bone calcium levels, metabolism, and mental status.
- Diabetes Mellitus & Pancreatic Gland Disorders – These disorders affect the production of various hormones, like insulin. These disorders can cause Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), hypoglycemia, altered mental status, gangrene, etc.
- Parathyroid Gland Disorders – These disorders impact calcium levels in the body, and can lead to Osteoporosis, kidney failure, recurrent low blood calcium levels (hypocalcemia), bone fractures, etc.
Filing A Claim – Why Should You Hire A Social Security Disability Attorney in Oakland
Working with Ortega Disability Group and our Social Security lawyers in Oakland, California, can make a huge difference in whether or not your claim is approved by the Social Security Administration. In order to file properly for disability benefits under the endocrine disorders category, a claimant must be able to prove their disability exists and prevents them from working. Their disability must also meet the criteria in the Blue Book for the category they are filing under.
However, if a claimant is unable to meet the criteria, they still may be able to qualify for disability benefits. A claimant must always provide medical evidence that supports their claim, and must submit all necessary documentation properly, and on time, to the SSA.
The process can be complicated, and most initial claims are denied. Often, this is because a claim was not properly filed or something was not submitted on time. Relying on a qualified Social Security Disability law firm in Oakland to help you apply for benefits will always increase your chances of being approved.
Social Security Disability Attorney in Oakland, CA
When you are filing for Social Security Disability benefits, or looking to file an appeal, reach out to Ortega Disability Group today. Our Social Security Disability lawyers will make the process of applying for SSDI simple and easy for you. We will ensure that all the documentation required by the Social Security Administration is properly filed and provided, as well as handle all other small details that will inevitably arise during the process. Additionally, we can help you in appealing a denied disability claim.
Contact us today and request a free consultation when you call (657) 275-1476.